PENNINGTON BIOMEDICAL AT A GLANCE
Pennington Biomedical’s vision is to lead the world in eliminating chronic diseases. Our mission is to discover the triggers of chronic diseases through innovative research that improves human health across the lifespan. We are helping people live well beyond the expected.
- $127.5 million in grant funding
- For every $1 in state funding, our research generates $3 in external funding
- Our research generates from $349 to $1,278 per square foot, depending on the nature of the research
- Every faculty member produces roughly five jobs in the local economy
Employment & Scope
- 70 Faculty members
- 15 Post-doctoral fellows
- 40 laboratories
- 450 employees
- 13 specialized core service facilities
- 688,000 square feet of state-of-the art laboratories, clinics, conference space & offices
- We discovered new molecules that can decrease inflammation without causing diabetes.
- We have the world’s only infant metabolic chamber in operation to study babies’ health and metabolism, and we have four functioning metabolic chambers dedicated to adult health and metabolism.
- We have been involved in the development of all approved obesity medications on the market today, and many key diabetes medications.
- We are a leader in nutrition research for our U.S. Military Soldiers, retirees and their family members.
- We are home to the Botanicals Research Center, one of only five NIH-funded botanical research centers in the U.S.
- We work with children and families to utilize telehealth programs to improve the health of children around the globe.
- Our clinical trials and research studies have engaged nearly 18,000 individuals from every parish in Louisiana in an effort to improve the health of our state.
- Our dementia study is one of the largest aging studies in the U.S., and our research has been recognized by the Alzheimer’s Disease Cooperative Study Group (ADCS) - the largest Alzheimer’s therapeutic research consortium in the U.S. - making Pennington Biomedical the only ADCS-approved site in a tri-state area.
- We played a key role in designing the DASH diet - voted the #1 diet in America for the fifth year in a row by U.S. News & World Report.
- Our post-doctoral program has been voted among the top 10 in the nation.