RESEARCH PROGRAMS & LABORATORIESResearch at Pennington Biomedical is conducted across a network of laboratories committed to advancing health through science.
Our laboratories are grouped by area of focus. Please click on one of the three focus areas below to access a list of individual laboratories and additional information.
+ Basic Science
- Gene Regulation & Metabolism
Director: Ji Suk Chang, Ph.D.
- Matrix Biology
Director: Carrie Elks, Ph.D., R.D.
- Neurobiology of Energy Balance
Director: Mary O' Brien
- William Hansel Cancer Prevention
Director: William Hansel, Ph.D.
- Antioxidant and Gene Regulation
Director: Jianping Ye, M.D.
Director: Susan Collier, PhD
- Islet Biology and Inflammation
Director: Jason Collier, Ph.D.
- John S McIlhenny Skeletal Muscle Physiology
Director: Robert Noland, PhD
- Joint Program on Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism
Director: William Cefalu, M.D., Stefany Primeaux
- Oxidative Stress and Disease
Director: Krisztian Stadler, Ph.D.
- Gene-Nutrient Interactions
Director: Randall Mynatt, Ph.D., Jingying Zhang, Ph.D.
- Genetics of Eating Behavior
Director: Brenda Richards (Smith), Ph.D.
- Human Genomics
Director: Claude Bouchard, Ph.D., Tuomo Rankinen, Ph.D.
- Regulation of Gene Expression
Director: Michael Salbaum, PhD
- Autonomic Neuroscience
Director: Richard Rogers, Ph.D., Gerlinda Hermann, Ph.D.
- Leptin Signaling in the Brain
Director: Heike Muenzberg-Gruening, Ph.D.
- Neurobiology & Nutrition
Director: Hans-Rudolf Berthoud, Ph.D.
- Neurobiology of Metabolic Dysfunction
Director: David McDougal, PhD
Director: Christopher Morrison, Ph.D.
- Blood Brain Barrier
Director: Abba Kastin, MD
- Inflammation and Neurodegeneration
Director: Annadora Bruce-Keller, Ph.D.
- Nutrient Sensing and Adipocyte Signaling
Director: Thomas Gettys, Ph.D., Kirsten Stone, PhD
- Adipocte Biology
Director: Jacqueline Stephens, Ph.D., Allison Richard, PhD
- Dietary Obesity
Director: Doug Braymer
- Developmental Biology
Director: Claudia Kappen, Dr. rer. nat.
- Epigenetics & Nuclear Reprogramming
Director: Kenneth Eilertsen, Ph.D.
- Ubiquitin Biology
Director: Elizabeth Floyd, Ph.D.
+ Clinical Science
- Clinical Oncology & Metabolism
Director: Anne Gilmore, PhD, RD
- Metabolism & Body Composition
Director: Steven Heymsfield, M.D.
- Brain and Metabolism Imaging in Chronic Disease (BAMIC)
Director: Owen Carmichael, PhD
- John S. McIlhenny Botanical Research
Director: William Cefalu, M.D.
- Aging and Neurodegeneration
Director: Jeffrey Keller, Ph.D.
- Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism
Director: John Apolzan, PhD
- Ingestive Behavior
Director: Corby Martin, Ph.D.
- Reproductive Endocrinology & Women’s Health
Director: Leanne Redman, MS, PhD
- Human Translational Physiology
Director: Eric Ravussin, Ph.D., Ursula White, Ph.D.
- Preventive Medicine
Director: Neil Johannsen
+ Population & Public Health Sciences
- Chronic Disease Epidemiology
Director: Gang Hu, MD, MPH, PhD, FAHA
- Contextual Risk Factors
Director: Stephanie Broyles, PhD
- Nutritional Epidemiology
Director: Catherine Champagne, Ph.D., R.D.N.
- Physical Activity and Obesity Epidemiology
Director: Peter Katzmarzyk, Ph.D., FACSM, FAHA, FTOS
- Behavior Technology Laboratory: Eating Disorders and Obesity
Director: Tiffany Stewart, Ph.D.
- Behavioral Medicine
Director: Phillip Brantley, Ph.D.
- Pediatric Obesity and Health Behavior
Director: Amanda Staiano, PhD
- Physical Activity & Ethnic Minority Health
Director: Robert Newton, Jr., Ph.D.