ABOUT PENNINGTON BIOMEDICAL
LSU’s Pennington Biomedical Research Center puts science to work for a healthier Louisiana. A world research leader right here in Louisiana, our mission is to discover the triggers of chronic diseases through innovative research that improves human health across the lifespan.
At the forefront of medical discovery as it relates to understanding the causes of obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer and dementia, Pennington Biomedical is a campus of Louisiana State University and conducts basic, clinical and population research.
The research enterprise at the center includes approximately 70 faculty and more than 15 post-doctoral fellows who comprise a network of 40 laboratories supported by lab technicians, nurses, dietitians and support personnel, and 13 highly specialized core service facilities. The center’s 450 employees perform research activities in state-of-the-art facilities on the 222-acre campus located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Botanical Research Center
- Nutrition Obesity Research Center
- Center of Biomedical Research Excellence
- Institute for Dementia Research & Prevention
- Louisiana Clinical & Transitional Science Center
10 RESEARCH AREAS:
- Epidemiology & Prevention
- Genomics & Molecular Genetics
- Nutrient Sensing & Signaling
- Physical Activity & Health
- Developmental Biology