Eligibility for Pilot and Feasibility Program
Eligibility and Guidelines
Eligibility criteria include:
- LAUNCHED cohort scholars are eligible and encouraged to apply.
- Early career scientists (full-time post-doctoral fellows and Associate or Assistant Professors) who are not LAUNCHED cohort scholars and who work in the southeast (e.g., Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama) are also eligible and encouraged to apply.
- Scientists from underrepresented racial and ethnic minority groups.
- Individuals from underrepresented racial and ethnic minority groups include Blacks/African Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, American Indian/Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders.
- Early career scientists who do not have current or previous NIH (or equivalent) independent research support, excluding fellowship or career development awards.
- Must have a PhD or MD or equivalent degree.
- There is no citizenship requirement but visiting scientists with whom the institution does not have a long-term collaborative relationship will not be considered.
Applicants must identify at least two senior mentors (Primary and Secondary Mentors) in their application. At least one mentor from the LAUNCHED program is strongly encouraged. A short description of the mentoring plan must be provided in the full application, including the role of the mentors on the project and the nature and frequency of communication between the Principal Investigator and the mentors. Eligible mentors can be from the applicant’s institution or external institutions. For help in identifying potential mentors, please contact email@example.com.
Letter of Intent
A Letter of Intent is required initially to ensure eligibility and appropriateness of the research topic and to provide a budget estimate. Applicants will be invited to submit a full application based on the Letter of Intent.
Letter of Intent Guidelines
- One page maximum (Arial 11 point font, single spaced, 0.5 inch margins) including
- Project title, Principal Investigator, Primary and Secondary Mentors, and, if applicable, inter-institutional collaborations.
- Specific Aims of the project.
- Estimated budget.
- A Letter of Commitment of retention from the Chairman or Dean of the applicant’s partner institution, or a partner institution to which they are moving.
- Postdoctoral fellows should include a Letter of Support from their mentor or institutional official documenting institutional commitment.
- NIH Biosketch of the Principal Investigator and the Primary Mentor.
- Diversity statement (1/4 page maximum) noting how the applicant qualifies as an URM scientist.
Submit the Letter of Intent as ONE DOCUMENT electronically (PDF format in color) at the following website: Launched Funding.
If you prefer, please email us at LAUNCHED@pbrc.edu