- Ph.D. Exercise Science, Michigan State University, 1997
Dr. Katzmarzyk is Professor and Associate Executive Director for Population and Public Health Sciences at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center where he holds the Marie Edana Corcoran Endowed Chair in Pediatric Obesity and Diabetes. Dr. Katzmarzyk is an internationally recognized leader in the field of physical activity and obesity, with a special emphasis on pediatrics and ethnic health disparities. He has over two decades of experience in conducting large clinical and population-based studies in children and adults.
Dr. Katzmarzyk has a special interest in global health, and has a record of building research capacity in physical activity and obesity research in developing countries. He has published his research in more than 580 scholarly journals and books, and has delivered over 210 invited lectures in 16 countries. He is Associate Editor-in-Chief for Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Associate Editor for American Journal of Human Biology, and editorial board member for Pediatric Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders, and Pediatric Exercise Science. In addition to his research, Dr. Katzmarzyk plays a leading role in national health advocacy initiatives. He chairs the Research Advisory Committee for the U.S. Report Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth for the National Physical Activity Plan Alliance. He also recently served on the 2018 U.S. Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the World Health Organization Guideline Development Group for the WHO 2020 Guidelines on Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior in Youth, Adults and Older Adults. In 2019 and 2020, Dr. Katzmarzyk was recognized as a highly cited researcher by the Web of Science.
Department: Physical Activity and Obesity Epidemiology
- Katzmarzyk P.T., C.K. Martin, R.L. Newton, Jr. J.W. Apolzan, C.L. Arnold, T.C. Davis, E.G. Price-Haywood, K.D. Denstel, E.F. Mire, T.K. Thethi, P.J. Brantley, W.D. Johnson, V. Fonseca, J. Gugel, K.B. Kennedy, C.J. Lavie, D.F. Sarpong and B. Springgate. Weight loss in underserved patients - A cluster randomized trial. New England Journal of Medicine 2020;383:909-918.
- Katzmarzyk P.T., R. Ross, S.N. Blair and J.-P. Despres. Should we target increased physical activity or less sedentary lifestyles in the battle against cardiovascular disease risk development? Atherosclerosis 2020;311:107-115.
- Bull F., S. Saad Al-Ansari, S. Biddle, K. Borodulin, M. Buman, G. Cardon, C. Carty, J.-P. Chaput, S. Chastin, P.C. Dempsey, L. DiPietro, U. Ekelund, J. Firth, C.M. Friedenreich, L. Garcia, R. Jago, P.T. Katzmarzyk, E.V. Lambert, M. Leitzmann, K. Milton, F.B. Ortega, C. Ranasinghe, E. Stamatakis, A. Tiedemann, R.P. Troiano, H. van der Ploeg, V. Wari and J. Willumsen. World Health Organization 2020 guidelines on physical activity and sedentary behaviour. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2020;54:1451-1462.
- Myers C.A., E.F. Mire, P.T. Katzmarzyk. Trends in adiposity and food insecurity among US adults. JAMA Network Open 2020;3(8):e2012767.
- Katzmarzyk P.T., J.-P. Chaput, M. Fogelholm, G. Hu, C. Maher, J. Maia, T. Olds, O.L. Sarmiento, M. Standage, M.S. Tremblay and C. Tudor-Locke. International Study of Childhood Obesity, Lifestyle and the Environment (ISCOLE): Contributions to understanding the global obesity epidemic. Nutrients 2019;11:848.
- Katzmarzyk P.T., K.E. Powell, J.M. Jakicic, R. Troiano, K. Piercy and B. Tennant for the 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee. Sedentary behavior and health: Update from the 2018 Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 2019;51:1227-1241.
- Powell K.E., A.C. King, D.M. Buchner, W.W. Campbell, L. DiPietro, K.I. Erickson, C.H. Hillman, J.M. Jakicic, K.F. Janz, P.T. Katzmarzyk, W.E. Kraus, R.F. Macko, D.X. Marquez, A. McTiernan, R.R. Pate, L.S. Pescatello and M.C. Whitt-Glover. The scientific foundation for the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, 2nd Edition. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 2019;16:1-11.
- Ussery E.N., J.E. Fulton, D.A. Galuska, P.T. Katzmarzyk and S.A. Carlson. Joint prevalence of Sitting Time and Leisure-Time Physical Activity Among US adults, 2015-2016. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) 2018;320:2036-2038.
- Ding D., K.D. Lawson, T. Kolbe-Alexander, E. Finkelstein, P.T. Katzmarzyk, W. van Mechelen and M. Pratt. The economic burden of physical inactivity: A global analysis of major non-communicable diseases. Lancet 2016;388:1311-1324.
- Lee I.-M., E.J. Shiroma, R.L.F. Lobelo, P. Puska, S.N. Blair and P.T. Katzmarzyk. Impact of physical inactivity on the world’s major non-communicable diseases. Lancet 2012;380 (9838):219-229.
- Katzmarzyk P.T., G.A. Bray, F.L. Greenway, W.D. Johnson, R.L. Newton, Jr., E. Ravussin, D.H. Ryan, S.R. Smith and C. Bouchard. Racial differences in abdominal depot-specific adiposity in white and African American adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2010;91:7-15.
- Katzmarzyk P.T., T.S. Church, C.L. Craig and C. Bouchard. Sitting time and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 2009;41:998-1005.
For a complete list of Dr. Katzmarzyk’s publications, please click here: PubMed Link