- 2009 - Ph.D., Biological Sciences (Adipocyte Biology Laboratory), Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
Adipose (fat) tissue is a highly plastic organ that is essential to maintain energy homeostasis. Dr. White's laboratory focuses on the important roles of adipose tissue during changes in energy balance and in the pathophysiology of obesity and associated diseases. She also investigates the factors and mechanisms that influence fat expansion and distribution in humans.
Lab/Department Page Physiology of Human Adipose Tissue
- Allerton, T.D., Savoie J.J., Fitch M.D., Hellerstein M.K., Stephens J.M., and White. U. (in press) Exercise reduced the formation of new adipocytes in the adipose tissue of mice in vivo. PLOS ONE.
- White, U., Fitch, M.D., Beyl, R.A., Hellerstein, M.K., and Ravussin, E. (2021) Adipose depot-specific effects of 16 weeks of pioglitazone on in vivo adipogenesis in women with obesity: a randomised controlled trial. Diabetologia. 64(1): 159-167. (PMC7718382)
- Apolzan, J.A., Beyl, R.A., Martin, C.K., Greenway, F.L., White, U. (2020) The Effects of Alcohol Consumption on Cardiometabolic Health Outcomes Following Weight Loss in Premenopausal Women with Obesity: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 17(15): 5302. (PMC7432916)
- Richard A.J., White U., Elks C.M., and Stephens, J.M. (2020) Adipose Tissue: Physiology to Metabolic Dysfunction. Endotext. South Dartmouth (MA): MDText.com, Inc. (PMID: 30267179)
- White U.A. and Ravussin, E. (2019) Dynamics of Adipose Tissue Turnover in Human Metabolic Health and Disease. Diabetologia. 62(1):17-23. (PMC6476187)
- White U.A., Fitch M.D., Beyl R.A., Hellerstein M.K., Ravussin, E. (2018) Racial differences in in vivo adipose lipid kinetics in humans. J Lipid Res. 59(9):1738-1744. (PMC6121936)
- White U.A., Fitch M.D., Beyl R.A., Hellerstein M.K., Ravussin E. (2017) Association of in vivo adipose tissue cellular kinetics with markers of metabolic health in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 102(7), 2171-2178. (PMC5505198)
- White U.A., Fitch M.D., Beyl R.A., Hellerstein M.K., Ravussin E. (2016) Differences in in vivo cellular kinetics in abdominal and femoral subcutaneous adipose tissue in women. Diabetes. 65(6), 1642-1647. (PMC4878415)