- Fellowship - Baylor College of Medicine, Adult and Pediatric Endocrinology, 2012
- Residency - LSU Health Sciences Center, Internal Medicine/Pediatrics, 2008
- M.D. - Albany Medical College, 2004
- B.S. - Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (6 year Accelerated Biomedical Program), 2000
Dr. Hsia’s research focuses on prevention and intervention strategies for diabetes and obesity across the lifespan.He is especially interested in expanding treatment options for children with diabetes and obesity by translating approved therapies into the pediatric population.
- LeBlanc ES, Pratley RE, Dawson-Hughes B, Staten MA, Sheehan PR, Lewis MR, Peters A, Kim SH, Chatterjee R, Aroda VR, Chadha C, Neff LM, Brodsky IG, Rosen C, Desouza CV, Foreyt JP, Hsia DS, Johnson KC, Raskin P, Kashyap SR, O'Neil P, Phillips LS, Rasouli N, Liao EP, Robbins DC, Pittas AG; D2d Research Group. “Baseline Characteristics of the Vitamin D and Type 2 Diabetes (D2d) Study: A Contemporary Prediabetes Cohort That Will Inform Diabetes Prevention Efforts.” Diabetes Care. 2018 Jun 25.
- Hsia DS and Heymsfield SB. “Reducing diabetes risk at an early age.” Nature Medicine. 2018 Jun;24(6):708-710.
- Hsia DS, Grove G, Cefalu WT. “An update on sodium-glucose co-transporter-2 inhibitors for the treatment of diabetes mellitus.” Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2017 Feb;24(1):73-79.
- Primeaux SD, de Silva T, Tzeng TH, Chiang MC, Hsia DS. “Recent advances in the modification of taste and food preferences following bariatric surgery.” Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2016 Jun;17(2):195-207.
- Hsia, DS, Larrivee, S, Cefalu, WT, and Johnson WD. “Impact of Lowering BMI Cut Points as Recommended in the Revised American Diabetes Association’s Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2015 on Diabetes Screening in Asian Americans.” Diabetes Care 2015 Nov;38:1–3.
- Hsia, DS, Tarai, SG, Alimi, A, Coss-Bu, JA, and Haymond, MW. “Fluid Management in Pediatric Patients with DKA and Rates of Suspected Clinical Cerebral Edema.” Pediatric Diabetes. 2015 Aug;16(5):338-44.
- Katzmarzyk PT, Barlow S, Bouchard C, Catalano P, Hsia DS, Inge TH, Lovelady C, Raynor H, Redman LM, Staiano AE, Spruijt-Metz D, Symonds ME, Vickers M, Wilfley D, Yanovski JA. “An Evolving Scientific Basis for the Prevention and Treatment of Pediatric Obesity.” International Journal of Obesity. 2014 Jul;38(7):887-905.
- Hsia DS, Gwilliam NR, Ferrell LB, Haymond MW, and Brandt ML. “Morbidly Obese Pediatric Patients Are Not Adequately Screened for Co-Morbidities.” Clinical Obesity 2013 Feb-Apr; 3(1-2): 7-11.
- Hsia DS, Fallon SC, and Brandt ML. “Adolescent Bariatric Surgery.” Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. 2012;166(8):757-66.
Hsia, DS and Cefalu, WT. “The Relationship Between Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes—The Role of Gut Factors.” International Textbook of Diabetes Mellitus. Eds. Ele Ferrannini, Paul Zimmet, Ralph DeFronzo and George Alberti. May 2015, Wiley-Blackwell