- Ph.D., Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine, Baton Rouge, LA, 2011, Veterinary Medical Sciences
- M.S., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 2006, Human Nutrition
- B.S., Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 2001, Dietetics
Dr. Elks has a general interest in the effects of the extracellular matrix on tissue function in obesity and diabetes. More specifically, she is interested in understanding how the adipose tissue extracellular matrix affects adipocyte function and adipose tissue homeostasis. Her current research is focused on: 1) how cytokines affect the function and composition of the adipose tissue extracellular matrix, and 2) how alterations in the adipose tissue extracellular matrix affect adipocyte function and insulin sensitivity.
Department: Matrix Biology
- Hang H, Bailey JL, Elks CM. (2019) Oncostatin M Mediates Adipocyte Expression and Secretion of Stromal-Derived Factor 1. Biology (Basel). Mar 23;8(1). pii: E19.
- Stephens JM, Bailey JL, Hang H, Rittell V, Dietrich MA, Mynatt RL, Elks CM. (2018) Adipose Tissue Dysfunction Occurs Independently of Obesity in Adipocyte-Specific Oncostatin Receptor Knockout Mice. Obesity. 26(9):1439-1447.
- Elks CM. (2018) Obesity and Inflammation: One Size Never Fits All. EBioMedicine. 30:9.
- Turner PA, Gurumurthy B, Bailey JL, Elks CM, Janorkar AV. (2017) Adipogenic Differentiation of Human Adipose-Derived Stem Cells Grown as Spheroids.Process Biochemistry. 59:312-320.
- Elks CM, Zhao P, Grant RW, Hang H, Bailey JL, Burk DH, McNulty MA, Mynatt RL, Stephens JM. (2016) Loss of oncostatin M signaling in adipocytes induces insulin resistance and adipose tissue inflammation in vivo. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 291(33):17066-17076.
- Burke SJ, Karlstad MD, Regal KM, Sparer TE, Lu D, Elks CM, Grant RW, Stephens JM, Burk DH, Collier JJ. (2015) CCL20 is elevated during obesity and differentially regulated by NF-?B subunits in pancreatic ß-cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1849(6):637-652.
- Elks CM and Stephens JM. (2015) Oncostatin M modulation of lipid storage. Biology. 4(1):151-160.
- Elks CM, Terrebonne JD, Ingram DK, Stephens JM. (2015) Blueberries improve glucose tolerance and lipid handling without altering body composition in obese postmenopausal mice. Obesity. 23(3):573-80.
- Ruggiero C, Elks CM, Kruger C, Cleland E, Addison K, Noland RC, Stadler K. (2014) Albumin-bound fatty acids but not albumin itself alter redox balance in tubular epithelial cells and induce a peroxide-mediated redox-sensitive apoptosis. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 306(8):F896-906.
- Zhao P, Elks CM, Stephens JM. (2014) The induction of lipocalin-2 protein expression in vivo and in vitro. J Biol Chem. 28;289(9):5960-9.
- Sanchez-Infantes D, White UA, Elks CM, Morrison RF, Gimble JM, Considine RV, Ferrante AW, Ravussin E, Stephens JM. (2014) Oncostatin M is produced in adipose tissue and is regulated in conditions of obesity and type 2 diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 99(2):E217-25.