- B.A., Hampton University, Hampton VA, 1993, Psychology
- Ph.D., University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2002, Clinical Psychology
Dr. Newton's research interests center on addressing health disparities in African American children, adults, and older adults. Although much of his work involves developing physical activity promotion interventions, he also engages in weight loss studies.
Dr. Newton utilizes community-based and technology-based interventions to address health disparities. Currently, Dr. Newton leads studies assessing the effect of a community-based physical activity intervention in older African American adults and a mobile phone based intervention targeting increased physical activity in young children. Dr. Newton is also involved in two primary care weight management programs and several childhood physical activity and/or weight management studies.
Department: Physical Activity & Ethnic Minority Health
- Newton, R. L., Jr., Carter, L. A., Zhang, D., Larrivee, S., Kennendy, B. M., Harris, M., Hsia, D. (In Press). A cluster randomized church-based weight loss intervention using text messages in African Americans: The LEAN Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research. doi: 10.2196/jmir.9816.
- Broyles, S. B., Marker, A. M., Myers, C., Drazba, K., Church, T. S., Newton, R. L., Jr. (2016) The Influence of Neighborhood Crime on Increases in Physical Activity during a Pilot Physical Activity Intervention in Children. Journal of Urban Health, 93, 271-8.
- Staiano, A. E., Marker, A. M., Beyl, R. A., Hsia, D. S., Katzmarzyk, P. T., Newton, R. L. A randomized controlled trial of dance exergaming for exercise training in overweight and obese adolescent girls. Pediatric Obesity, Feb 26. doi: 10.1111/ijpo.12117
- Staiano, A.E., Harrington, D.M., Johannsen, N.M., Newton, R.L., Sarzynski, M.A., Swift, D.L., Katzmarzyk, P.T. (2015). Uncovering physiological mechanisms for health disparities in type 2 diabetes. Ethnicity & Disease, 25, 31-7.
- Newton, R. L., Jr., Johnson, W. D., Hendrick, C., Harris, M., Andrews, E. III., Johannsen N., Rodarte, R. Q. Hsia, D. S., Church, T. S. (2015). A randomized controlled exercise training trial on insulin sensitivity in African American men: The ARTIIS study. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 43, 75-82. doi:10.1016/j.cct.2015.05.004
- Newton, R. L., Jr., Griffith, D. M., Kearney, W. B., Bennett, G. G. (2014) A systematic review of weight loss, physical activity, and dietary interventions involving African American men. Obesity Reviews, 15 Suppl4, 93-106.