- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 1979, Neuroscience
The research interests of the laboratory of Dr. Rogers and Dr. Hermann are focused on the disruption of control of autonomic functions exerted by chronic disease. We are particularly interested in the modulation of homeostatic mechanisms by markers of disease or trauma [for example, cytokines or thrombin]. Special emphasis is placed on studies involving the activation of astrocytes surrounding autonomic regulatory neurons in the brainstem. This laboratory has pioneered live cell imaging approaches to study questions of the underlying mechanisms of autonomic control.
- Rogers RC, Ritter S, Hermann GE. Hindbrain cytoglucopenia-induced increases in systemic blood glucose levels by 2-deoxyglucose depend on intact astrocytes and adenosine release. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2016 Apr 13:ajpregu.00493.2015. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00493.2015. [Epub ahead of print] PMID 27101298.
- Burke SJ, Stadler K, Lu D, Gleason E, Han A, Donohoe DR, Rogers RC, Hermann GE, Karlstad MD, Collier JJ. IL-1ß reciprocally regulates chemokine and insulin secretion in pancreatic ß-cells via NF-?B. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Oct 15;309(8):E715-26. doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00153.2015. [Epub 2015 Aug 25]. PMID: 26306596. PMCID: PMC4609876 [Available on 2016-10-15].
- Reiner DJ, Mietlicki-Baase EG, McGrath LE, Zimmer DJ, Bence KK, Sousa GL, Konanur VR, Krawczyk J, Burk DH, Kanoski SE, Hermann GE, Rogers RC, Hayes MR. Astrocytes Regulate GLP-1 Receptor-Mediated Effects on Energy Balance. J Neurosci. 2016 Mar 23;36(12):3531-40. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3579-15.2016. PMID: 27013681. PMCID:PMC4804010 [Available on 2016-09-23]
- Vance KM, Rogers RC, Hermann GE. PAR1-activated astrocytes in the nucleus of the solitary tract stimulate adjacent neurons via NMDA receptors. J Neurosci. 2015 Jan 14;35(2):776-85. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.3105-14.2015. PMCID: PMC4293422.
- McDougal DH, Hermann GE, Rogers RC. Astrocytes in the nucleus of the solitary tract are activated by low glucose or glucoprivation: evidence for glial involvement in glucose homeostasis. Front Neurosci. 2013 Dec 20;7:249. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2013.00249. eCollection. 2013. PMCID: PMC3868892.