Conrad Earnest, Ph.D.
Director: Exercise Biology
Director: Exercise Testing Core
Sub-Core Director: Clinical Nutrition Research Unit Human Phenotyping Core (CNRU) - Exercise and Physical Activity
Fellow: American College of Sports Medicine
Adjunct Associate Professor
Preventive Medicine Laboratory
Doctor of Philosophy; Texas Woman's University, Denton, TX
Primary Emphasis: Exercise Physiology; Secondary Emphasis: Nutrition and Food Science
Masters and Bachelors of Science, The University of Akron, Akron, OH
Primary Emphasis: Exercise Science; Secondary Emphasis: Athletic Training
Exercise and Health
Nutrition and Health
Nutrition and Sport Performance
Exercise and Sport Performance
Energy distribution characteristics during exercise and recovery
Heart rate variability and vascular function
In Press / In Review
1. Bajpeyi S, Earnest CP, Conley K, Jubrias S, Newcomer BR, Gupta A, Kjems L, Smith SR Exercise effects on intramyocellular lipid and maximal mitochondrial capacity in healthy young sedentary men In review.
2. Daray LA, Henagan TM, Zanovec M, Earnest CP, Johnson LG, Winchester J, Tuuri G, Stewart LK Endurance and resistance training lowers C-Reactive Protein in young, healthy females In review.
3. Earnest CP, Lupo M, Thibodeaux J, Hollier C, Butitta B, Lejeune E, Johannsen NM, Gibala M, Church TS Does interval training impact insulin sensitivity more than steady aerobic conditioning in patients at risk for diabetes? In review.
4. Earnest CP, Blair SN, Church TS Does age attenuate the heart rate variability response to exercise in aging women? In review.
5. Nauta MM, Swift DL, Myers VH, Earnest CP, Johannsen N, Champagne CM, Parker BD, Levy E, Cash KC, Church TS Cancer Survival through Weight Loss and Exercise (CASTLE): A Pilot Study In review.
6. Swift DL, Church TS, Earnest CP, Blair SN Changes in flow mediated dilation across different doses of aerobic training: Results from the DREW Study In review.
7. Earnest CP, Lupo M, Church TS The effect of Astaxanthin supplementation on indices of fat metabolism and cycling performance Int J Sports Med In press.
8. Rietschier H, Henagan TM, Earnest CP, Baker B, Cortez C, Stewart LK Sun-dried raisins are a cost effective alternative to sports jelly beans in prolonged cycling J Stength and Cond Res In press.
9. Tudor-Locke C, Camhi S, Leonardi C, Johnson WD, Katzmarzyk PT, Earnest CP, Church TS Patterns of stepping cadence in the 2005-2006 NHANES Preventive Medicine In press.
1. Church TS, Thomas DM, Tudor-Locke C, Katzmarzyk PT, Earnest CP, Rodarte RQ, Martin CK, Blair SN, Bouchard CB Trends in U.S. occupation-related physical activity and its association with obesity PLoS One 2011;6(5):e19657.
2. Lavie CJ, Church TS, Milani RV, Earnest CP Impact of Physical Activity, Cardiorespiratory Fitness, and Exercise Training on Markers of Inflammation Journal of cardiopulmonary rehabilitation and prevention Mar 21 2011.
3. Scott CB, Earnest CP Resistance exercise energy expenditure is greater with fatigue as compared to non-fatigue Journal of Exercise Physiology Online 2011;14(1):1-10.
4. Stellingwerff T, Jeukendrup AE, Perrey S, Shephard RJ, Schubert MM, Millet GP, Girard O, Skiba PF, Jones AM, Marabotti C, Ely MR, Montain SJ, Parker BA, Markert CD, Corona BT, Braga VA, Nunes FC, Fletcher JR, Esau SP, Holash RJ, Macintosh BR, Hunter SK, Buchheit M, Donato AJ, Edwards AG, Capelli C, Ferretti G, Flouris AD, Carrillo AE, Earnest CP, et al. Commentaries on Viewpoint: The two-hour marathon: Who and when? J Appl Physiol Jan 2011;110(1):278-293.
5. Church TS, Blair SN, Cocreham S, Johannsen N, Johnson W, Kramer K, Mikus CR, Myers V, Nauta M, Rodarte RQ, Sparks L, Thompson A, Earnest CP Effects of aerobic and resistance training on hemoglobin A1c levels in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial JAMA Nov 24 2010;304(20):2253-2262.
6. Church TS, Earnest CP, Thompson AM, Priest EL, Rodarte RQ, Suanders T, Ross R, Blair SN Exercise without Weight Loss Does Not Reduce C-Reactive Protein: The INFLAME Study Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2010;42(4):708-716.
7. Earnest CP. Physical activity level and dietary intake. In: Bouchard C, Katzmarzyk PT, eds. Physical Activity and Obesity. 2nd ed. Baton Rouge, LA: Human Kinetics; 2010:210-213.
8. Earnest CP, Blair SN, Church TS Age attenuated response to aerobic conditioning in postmenopausal women Eur J Appl Physiol Sep 2010;110(1):75-82.
9. Earnest CP, Blair SN, Church TS Does age attenuate aerobic conditioning response in postmenopausal women? Response Eur J Appl Physiol Dec 19 2010.
10. Earnest CP, Poirier P, Carnethon MR, Blair SN, Church TS Autonomic function and change in insulin for exercising postmenopausal women Maturitas Dec 16 2010;65 284–291.
11. Kreider RB, Wilborn CD, Taylor L, Campbell B, Almada AL, Collins R, Cooke M, Earnest CP, Greenwood M, Kalman DS, Kerksick CM, Kleiner SM, Leutholtz B, Lopez H, Lowery LM, Mendel R, Smith A, Spano M, Wildman R, Willoughby DS, Ziegenfuss TN, Antonio J ISSN exercise & sports nutrition review: research & recommendations J Int Soc Sports Nutr Feb 2 2010;7(1):7.
12. Mitchell JA, Church TS, Rankinen T, Earnest CP, Sui X, Blair SN FTO genotype and the weight loss benefits of moderate intensity exercise Obesity (Silver Spring) Mar 2010;18(3):641-643.
13. Stewart LK, Earnest CP, Blair SN, Church TS Effects of Different Doses of Physical Activity on C-Reactive Protein among Women Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2010;42(4):701-707.
14. Anaya SA, Church TS, Blair SN, Myers JN, Earnest CP Exercise dose-response of the V(E)/VCO(2) slope in postmenopausal women in the DREW study Med Sci Sports Exerc May 2009;41(5):971-976.
15. Arsenault BJ, Cote M, Cartier A, Lemieux I, Despres JP, Ross R, Earnest CP, Blair SN, Church TS Effect of exercise training on cardiometabolic risk markers among sedentary, but metabolically healthy overweight or obese post-menopausal women with elevated blood pressure Atherosclerosis Dec 2009;207(2):530-533.
16. Arsenault BJ, Earnest CP, Despres JP, Blair SN, Church TS Obesity, coffee consumption and CRP levels in postmenopausal overweight/obese women: importance of hormone replacement therapy use Eur J Clin Nutr Dec 2009;63(12):1419-1424.
17. Church TS, Martin CK, Thompson AM, Earnest CP, Mikus CR, Blair SN Changes in weight, waist circumference and compensatory responses with different doses of exercise among sedentary, overweight postmenopausal women PLoS One 2009;4(2):e4515.
18. Church TS, Thompson AM, Katzmarzyk PT, Sui X, Johannsen N, Earnest CP, Blair SN Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes, Alone and in Combination as Predictors of Cardiovascular Disease Mortality among Men Diabetes Care Apr 14 2009.
19. Earnest CP The role of exercise interval training in treating cardiovascular disease risk factors Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports 2009;3(4).
20. Earnest CP, Foster C, Hoyos J, Muniesa CA, Santalla A, Lucia A Time trial exertion traits of cycling's Grand Tours Int J Sports Med Apr 2009;30(4):240-244.
21. Earnest CP, Hammar MK, Munsey M, Mikus CR, David RM, Bralley JA, Church TS Microencapsulated foods as a functional delivery vehicle for omega-3 fatty acids: a pilot study J Int Soc Sports Nutr May 29 2009;6(1):12.
22. Martin CK, Church TS, Thompson AM, Earnest CP, Blair SN Exercise dose and quality of life: a randomized controlled trial Arch Intern Med Feb 9 2009;169(3):269-278.
23. Sisson SB, Church TS, Martin CK, Tudor-Locke C, Smith SR, Bouchard C, Earnest CP, Rankinen T, Newton RL, Jr., Katzmarzyk PT Profiles of sedentary behavior in children and adolescents: The US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2001-2006 Int J Pediatr Obes Apr 30 2009:1-7.
24. Sisson SB, Katzmarzyk PT, Earnest CP, Bouchard C, Blair SN, Church TS Volume of exercise and fitness nonresponse in sedentary, postmenopausal women Med Sci Sports Exerc Mar 2009;41(3):539-545.
25. Church TS, Gill TM, Newman AB, Blair SN, Earnest CP, Pahor M Maximal fitness testing in sedentary elderly at substantial risk of disability: LIFE-P study experience J Aging Phys Act Oct 2008;16(4):408-415.
26. Earnest CP, Lavie CJ, Blair SN, Church TS Heart rate variability characteristics in sedentary postmenopausal women following six months of exercise training: the DREW study PLoS ONE 2008;3(6):e2288.
27. Earnest CP Exercise interval training: An improved stimulus for improving the physiology of pre-diabetes Med Hypotheses Aug 14 2008;71(5):752-761.
28. Earnest CP How to begin exercise if you are overweight Obesity Management 2008;4(1):14-16.
29. Johannsen NM, Priest EL, Dixit VD, Earnest CP, Blair SN, Church TS Association of White Blood Cell Subfract