Bray Obesity Science Symposium & Review for the ABOM Exam
Pennington Biomedical Research Center (PBRC) will host the inaugural George A. Bray Obesity Science Symposium (BOSS) on May 19-21, 2024 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
PBRC along with its distinguished faculty has been a world leader in obesity science and treatment for more than 30 years due in large part to the leadership of its first chief scientist and executive, George A Bray MD, an early pioneer in obesity research.
For this annual symposium, in honor of George A Bray MD, preeminent obesity experts from PBRC and around the US will elucidate the latest advances in the pathophysiology of obesity as well as advances in multidisciplinary obesity treatment.
This 3-day symposium has been designated by the American Board of Obesity Medicine (ABOM) as a Group One Primary Medicine Obesity CME partner.
- Day 1 will consist of an intensive Board Review Course in preparation for ABOM certification exam and will cover all key topics included in the exam.
- Day 2 and 3 will cover a variety of additional topics including advances in obesity genetics, new science, pediatric obesity, life style intervention, pharmacotherapy, metabolic surgery, and more.
- Interactive break-out sessions led by faculty are provided to enhance discussion and hands-on learning about practical matters of obesity management such as motivational interviewing, overcoming obesity stigma, writing prescriptions for anti-obesity medications, nutrition guidance, coding for diagnosis and reimbursement, and financial management of an obesity practice.
At the conclusion of BOSS, health care providers will take home with them powerful new obesity treatment strategies that they can implement into practice immediately for the betterment of their patients struggling with obesity.
On-Demand access to presentations as well as additional CME hours will be available at the conclusion of the in-person event. If you are unable to join us in New Orleans, you may register for the fully on-demand version of the Bray Obesity Science Symposium & Review for the ABOM Exam.
- Materials Expiration Date: Materials will be available for viewing for up to two years after the course expiration date. All course PDFs may be downloaded.
This learning experience is intended for
- Physicians in Adult Medicine
- Specialists in Obesity Medicine
- Metabolic Surgeons
- Behavior Health Professionals
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
- Lifestyle Counselors
- All health care providers and scientists interested in understanding and treating obesity
Review Course for the ABOM Exam – 8 Credits
BOSS Day 1 – 8.5 Credits
BOSS Day 2 – 8 Credits
On-Demand – 5.5 Credits
Total: 30 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits
Please note: To earn all 30 GROUP ONE credits required for obesity medicine certification through ABOM, you must complete the review course, BOSS Day 1 and Day 2, and additional material available online.
This live activity has been approved for 24.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
Tulane University Health Sciences Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the determinants of obesity, including the role of genetics and epigenetics.
- Identify and evaluate patients with the chronic disease of obesity.
- Develop evidence-based obesity management options, including pharmacologic approaches, lifestyle interventions and metabolic surgery as patient-centered approaches for weight loss and improved outcomes in obesity comorbidities.
- Apply current multiple individualized treatment modalities to effectively address obesity.
- Describe issues of health disparities in obesity treatment, and formulate interventions to promote health equity.
Director – Philip Schauer, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Co-Director – Vivian Fonseca, MD FRCP
Co-Director – Jaime Almandoz, MD, MBA, FTOS
Co-Director – Steve Heymsfield, MD
Leanne Redman, MS, PhD
Donna Ryan, MD
John Kirwan, MSc, PhD, FACSM
Laura Boyer NP
Holly Edmonds PA
John D. Lovelace, MLIS, Assistant Director of Scientific Education, Pennington Biomedical
Emily Brooks, Event Specialist, Pennington Biomedical Research Center
|Bray Obesity Scientific Symposium (BOSS) course ONLY (16.5 credits) – May 20-21, 2024
|Bray Review course for the ABOM certification exam ONLY (8 credits) – May 19, 2024
|Bray Obesity Scientific Symposium and Bray Review course package including additional online material (30 credits) – General Registration (After February 1, 2024)
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the ACCME® Accreditation Requirements to ensure balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor. All individuals responsible for content, regardless of role(s), are required to document financial relationships or the absence of relationships with commercial interests, and all potential conflicts of interest must be resolved prior to the activity. Disclosure of off-label, experimental or investigational use of drugs or devices must also be made known to the audience.
Tulane University Health Sciences Center presents this activity for educational purposes only and does not endorse any product, content of presentation or exhibit. Participants are expected to utilize their own expertise and judgment while engaged in the practice of medicine. The content of the presentations is provided solely by presenters who have been selected because of their recognized expertise.