Klub Kinect Study
Study PurposeThe purpose of this research study is to evaluate the feasibility of a 12-week exergaming dance program for adolescent girls.
About the Study
Can a dance video game help you lose weight and stay healthy?
Teens spend about 3 hours playing video games each week, but most don’t get enough physical activity. Not being physically active contributes to health problems like obesity and heart disease. This study combines dancing, video games, and a full body work-out to test if video games can increase physical activity and promote healthy weight in adolescent girls.
If you are a girl between the ages of 14 and 18, we invite you to find out by participating in a study at Pennington Biomedical Research Center!
- 1 Baseline clinic visit (~3 hours)
- 3 Dance/gaming sessions per week, for 12 weeks (~ 90 minutes each)
- 1 Follow-up clinic visit (~ 3 hours)
- Height, weight, vitals, physical exam
- Questionnaires on lifestyle, medical history, your friends, your quality of life, and your confidence about exercise
- Blood draws for analysis of cholesterol and other risk factors
- Urine pregnancy test – to confirm that the participant is not pregnant
- Cardio free choice – The participant will be given 30 minutes to freely exercise in a cardio room that includes stationary bikes, treadmills, and snowboarding machines
- Physical activity – The participant will wear a device on the hip for 7 days to measure physical activity. It is light weight and will only come off when bathing/showering or swimming
- Dance Exergaming Group
- Control Group
Number of visits:
Eligible participants will be randomly assigned to one of two groups:
The Control Group will not participate in the exergaming and are only expected to come back for the final clinic visit. The Dance Exergaming Group will complete a 12-week program at the Pennington Biomedical Pediatric Clinic. Participants in this group will be asked to come to the Pediatric Clinic 3 times per week for approximately 90 minutes a session, and use the dance program in a friendly group environment. All participants will be offered a free nutritional counseling session at the end of the study.All study-related procedures will be provided at no cost to the participant.
- Has had at least one menstrual cycle
- Age: 14-18 years old
- BMI: ≥ 85th percentile calculate your BMI
- Free of medical conditions that would prohibit participation in physical activity or video game use
Study Duration14 weeks
CompensationEarn up to $300 for participation.
Study ContactIf you are interested in volunteering for the Klub Kinect study, click here to screen online, call 225-763-3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For specific questions related to study procedures, you can contact the project manager: Arwen Marker at 225-763-3080 or email@example.com.
If you think you may be eligible, please click the button below to screen online.GET STARTED
Please do not fill out this questionnaire for anyone other than yourself unless you are their legal guardian.
If you know someone who may be interested please direct them to the site or have them call us directly at 225-763-3000.