Sita Aggarwal, Ph.D
William Hansel Cancer Prevention
1999 Panjab University, Chandigarh, India, Ph.D, Life Sciences (Urolithiasis)
1993 Panjab University, Chandigarh, India, MS, Life Sciences (Biochemistry)
Feb 2002-Feb 2007; MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Jan 2000-Jan 2002; Institute of Microbial Technology, Chandigarh, India
June 1998- Sept 1999; Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
1) Destroying cancer cells, by developing new targeted drugs from natural defined plant extracts which destroy blood vessels in cancer cells, induces apoptosis in cancer cells; blocking energy utilization in cancer cells. I utilize nude mouse models, cancer cells, defined plant extracts and purified defined compounds from plants to understand the mechanism(s) underlying cancer cells proliferation.
2) The development of alternative drugs from natural resources such as plants for long term normalization of glycemic control in Type 2 Diabetes. I utilize mouse and human pancreatic beta cells, defined plant extracts to understand the mechanism(s) that influence beta cell mass, function and apoptosis.
1) R. Krishnapuram , H. Kirk-Ballard, E. J. Dhurandhar, O. Dubuisson, V. Messier, Rémi R.-Lhoret, V.Hegde, S.Aggarwal, and N.V. Dhurandhar. Insulin Receptor-independent Up-regulation of Cellular Glucose Uptake. Int J Obes (Lond) 37(1):146-53; 2013.
2) M. Li, G.M. Ganea, C. Lu, S. L. De Rooy, B. El-Zahab, R. Jin, S. Aggarwal, and I. M. Warner. Lipophilic Phosphonium-Lanthanide Compounds with Magnetic, Luminescent, and Tumor Targeting Properties. J Inorg Biochem; 107(1):40-6; 2012.
3) S. Aggarwal*, M. W. Ndinguri, R. Solipuram, Nobuko Wakamatsu, R.P.Hammer , D.Ingram and W. Hansel*.[DLys6]-LHRH-Curcumin Conjugate Inhibits Pancreatic Cancer Cell Growth in vitro and in vivo. Int J Cancer; 2011 Apr 11. doi: 10.1002/ijc.26132. PMID: 21484797
4) M W. Ndinguri, R.Solipuram, R P. Gambrell, S. Aggarwal *, and R P. Hammer*. Peptide targeting of platinum anti-cancer drug. Bioconjugate Chem; 20 (10): 1869– 1878, 2009. PMCID: PMC2891414
5) S. Aggarwal, S.W. Kim, S.H. Ryu, W.C. Chug,F.H., and J.S .Koo. Growth Suppression of Lung Cancer Cells by Targeting Cyclic AMP Response Element-Binding Protein. Cancer Res; 68(4):981-988, 2008. PMCID: PMC2921320
6) C. Bhattacharya, S. Aggarwal, M. Kumar, M. Zhao, A.Ali, and A. Matin. Mouse Apolipoprotein B editing Complex 3 (APOBEC3) is expressed in Germ Cells and Interacts with Dead-end (DND1). PLos One; 3(5): e2315, 2008. PMCID: PMC2384002
7) C. Bhattacharya, S. Aggarwal, R. Zhu, M. Kumar, M. Zhao, M L. Meistrich, and A. Matin. The Mouse dead-end gene isoform alpha is Necessary for Germ Cell and Embryonic Viability. Biochem Biophy Res Commun; 355(1):194-9, 2007. PMCID: PMC1855146
8) S. Aggarwal, S.W. Kim, K. Cheon, F.H. Tabassam, J.H. Yoon and J.S .Koo. Nonclassical Action of Retinoic Acid on the Activation of the cAMP Response element-Binding Protein in Normal Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells. Mol Biol Cell; 17(2): 566-75, 2006. PMCID: PMC1356569
9) S. Aggarwal, H. Ichikawa, Y. Takada, S.K. Sandur, S. Shishodia and B. Aggarwal. Curcumin (Diferulolmethane) Down-Regulates Expression of Cell Proliferation and Antiapoptotic and Metastatic Gene Products through Supression of IkBalpha Kinase and Akt Activation. Mol Pharmacol; 69:195-206, 2006. PMID: 16219905
10) S. Aggarwal, Y. Takada, S. Chada, K. Sieger, A.M. Mhashilkar and B. Aggarwal. TNF Stimulates Transcription Factor NF-?B In The Presence Of Novel Melanoma Differentiation-associated Gene (mda7) Leads Cells Resistant towards Cell Killing. J. Immunol; 173(7): 4368-76, 2004. PMID: 15383566
11) S. Aggarwal, Y. Takada, S. Singh, J. Myers and B. Aggarwal Inhibition of Growth And Survival of Human Head And Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cells by Curcumin Via Modulation of Nuclear Factor-?B Signaling. Int J Cancer; 111: 679-692, 2004. PMID: 15252836